Monday, April 27, 2009

Faking It

I don't cook. I can't cook. My mother was a homemaking teacher and my father is an outstanding cook--TV, embassies--the whole bit. They loved cooking and were always in the kitchen. When most people travel they go see all the famous landmarks, museums, and so on. Not my parents--they went to all the local grocery stores! Consequently, neither of us girls ever got into the kitchen! My brother is a pretty decent cook, but I'm not. My husband does all the cooking. I just tell everyone that in my family cooking is on the male chromosome.

So when I have to cook I have to fake it. Thank goodness for cans, boxes, and frozen entrees! In addition, since anyone will tell you that presentation is all important, I do set a mean table! Trust me, I could give lessons to Martha Stewart. By the time I've got the table set with coordinating linens and centerpiece, candles, and each person has a full 8 to 12 piece silverware setting, and serve everything on a fancy set of china (I have lots of sets of dishes just for this reason!) people just assume the food is good!

So of course I was thrilled when I saw all the lovely placemats that bijouxdesignsforyou has for sale! Take these beautiful placemats with a wine theme on them. Can't you just see them on a dark wood table with deep purple napkins; a centerpiece composed of a shallow basket filled with real grapes brushed with a sugar-water glaze, and short forest green pillar candles? I sure can! Or even out on a patio table to add a little class to lounging in the yard. Go check out all the lovely things in her studio--there's jewelry as well--oh yeah!!

1 comment:

  1. LOL! I'm not really a fantastic cook either...actually my hubby does all the cooking too! Unfortunately my own mother's talent for cooking was not something I inherited but at least I got her handmade "fever". Thanks so much for including our placemats on your lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete