Wednesday, May 5, 2010

One Last Goodbye

When I was in high school (which was so long ago that this post should start out as "Once upon a time...) I remember how my grandfather, who was 96 at the time, would respond to people who would continually compliment him on how well he looked. His response was "Why thank you; that's because everyone else my age is dead." Nothing like the truth. It is such a bittersweet event when someone you love so much finally gets to leave all the pain, infirmities, and tribulations behind. You're happy for them, and sad for yourself. It is so hard to say goodbye, mostly, I think, because you know it will be the last time you ever get to do it. That's the part that hurts the most.

In honor of Buttonwilloe, who will be making this last goodbye to her father tomorrow, May 6, I offer up this story I wrote about the final farewell to my father-in-law in 2000. It was published in the Texas Wildlife Association's magazine in 2004, and it is my hope that it will bring a smile and a measure of comfort to all of us who must make these final farewells. If you're like me and don't have the best eye-sight in the world, you may click on the pages and enlarge them for easier reading. --Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment